Friday, June 10, 2011

R.I.P. LEE TAYLOR

"Today is my last Friday."

That was my friend Lee's response to my "Good morning".

He's in the day room. I didn't even know how to respond to that. I don't even want to think about it. From here on, it will be his last this, last that. Soon as he said that, I started feeling a tightness in my chest. I started getting shaky. I'll be going through what he's going through in 3 months. The time's been going by so fast. I can't imagine how fast it's going for Lee. It seems like I wake up, and the day is over before I know it. I don't want to sleep. I don't want to miss out on even a second of life.

"I'll get enough sleep in 92 days...."

"I'll sleep when I'm dead....."

At least we can joke about it. He looks so worn down. We've been through a lot together.  "This is my last Friday,".... I mean, fuck man. In less than a week they're going to kill my friend and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I keep wracking my brain to come up with something that could get him a stay.. I have an issue for him but he'd have to file his last minute appeal by Tuesday and there's just not enough time. It's so fucking sick that a man with less than one week to live can't get on the phone with his attorney in a last minute effort to save his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment